SOUTH DAKOTA CE COURSES
The following courses are currently available for South Dakota:
|Course Name||Credit Hours||Line of Authority|
|Ethical Practices: Avoiding E&O Claims||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethics & Insurance: How to Sell Ethically & Comply with the Law||3.00||Ethics|
|Indexed Product Training||4.00||LH|
|Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance||4.00||Life/Health|
|Health Insurance Policies: Protecting Clients from Health-Related Loss||5.00||Life/Health|
|Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability||6.00||Life/Health|
|Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap||4.00||Life/Health|
|Principles of Life and Health Insurance||10.00||Life/Health|
|Variable Life & Annuities: Understanding Investment Potential and Risks||5.00||Life/Health|
|Annuity Suitability Certification Training||4.00||Life/Health/Annuity|
|NFIP Flood Insurance||3.00||PC|
|Businessowners Policy (BOP)||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Personal Lines: Protecting Your Client's Home, Auto, & Critical Risks||7.00||Property/Casualty|
|Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance||13.00||Property/Casualty|
• Producers in South Dakota who are licensed either as a Life and Health OR Property and Casualty Producer must complete 10 hours of CE every 2-year license term.
• If a Producer is licensed as a combination Life and Health AND Property and Casualty Producer, 20 hours of CE are required every 2-year license term.
• Combination Crop/Life and Health AND Crop/Property and Casualty Producers are also required to take 20 hours of CE every 2-year license term.
• Producers that are license as Crop/Life and Health OR Crop/Property and Casualty will only need 10 hours of CE every 2-year license term.
• Crop Producers must take 4 hours of CE every 2-year license term.
• Farm Mutual Producers; Personal Lines Producers must take 10 hours of CE every 2-year license term.
Producers are required to renew before the last day of the licensee’s birth month, every 2 years. No carry over credits are allowed and a student cannot take a course more than once in a 2-year license term.
• General credits can only be applied to Life and Health or Property and Casualty.
• Life and Health AND Property and Casualty: 10 credits in L&H and 10 credits in P&C. A minimum of 8 credits in each license.
• Crop/Hail AND L&H OR Crop/Hail AND P&C: 2 in crop and hail, 8 in L&H OR P&C for a total of 10 credit hours.
• Crop/Hail/L&H AND P&C. These can be taken in the following ways:
1. 2 credits in crop and hail, 10 credits in L&H and 8 credits in P&C.
2. OR 2 credits in crop and hail, 12 credits in L&H and 6 credits in P&C.
3. OR 2 credits in crop and hail, 8 credits in L&H and 10 credits in P&C.
• ANNUITY TRAINING – South Dakota producers must take a course approved for at least 4 hours before selling or soliciting any annuity products.
• LONG TERM CARE PARTNERSHIP TRAINING - Before a Producer can sell or solicit Long Term Care Insurance, they must complete an initial 8 hours of a state approved Long Term Care Training. Producers must then complete a state approved 4-hour ongoing training requirement by July 1st every even year.
• STATE-SPECIFIC LONG TERM CARE TRAINING: Producers who have taken the initial 8 hour LTC training in another state must complete South Dakota’s Medicaid Training before selling LTC products.
• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING – South Dakota licensed producers who sell National Flood Insurance Policies are required to take a one-time 3-hour course on Flood Insurance.
• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX recommends that all Study by Topic Quizzes are passed with a 70% or better.
• STUDENT AND PROCTOR ATTESTATION – The student and proctor attestation must be completed following the certificate exam.
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION AND REPORTING
Nonresidents are exempt from all CE requirements in South Dakota. A nonresident who has completed the initial long-term care training in another state with a substantially similar requirement will still need to complete the state required Long-term Care Medicaid training.
The following are exempt from South Dakota CE requirements:
• Producers holding limited licenses to sell only credit life and credit health insurance
• Producers outside the United States or its territories
• Producers who are resident attorneys licensed to practice law in South Dakota
• A producer who is a transportation ticket producer of common carriers holding a limited license to sell only travel accident and baggage insurance
• A producer who is an employee of a trade association holding a limited license to sell only surety bonds to its association members
• Producers who are licensed to sell only bail bonds
• Producers who are over 65 and have been licensed in South Dakota for at least 10 years as of July 1, 2006.
Producers must notify, in writing, the South Dakota Division of Insurance if they are exempt from continuing education.
Licensees will renew their license through Sircon and pay all renewal fees by the due dates or the license will lapse. You can renew you license here http://www.sircon.com/southdakota
STATE CONTACT INFORMATION
South Dakota Division of Insurance Phone: (605) 773-3946
South Dakota Division of Insurance 445 E. Capitol Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501-3185
The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.