MAINE INSURANCE PRELICENSING INFORMATION
- Maine does not require potential agents to take and complete a state approved prelicensing course before taking their licensing exam. This being said, it is highly recommended that potential agents take and complete a state-specific test preparation course before taking their licensing exam.
LICENSING EXAM INFORMATION
- The exam is multiple choice and is given on a computer.
PASSING SCORE REQUIRED
- 75 (+ 15 pretest) questions
MAINE ACCIDENT AND HEALTH
- 88 (+ 15 pretest) questions
MAINE LIFE, ACCIDENT AND HEALTH
- 136 (+ 25 pretest) questions
- 80 (+ 17 pretest) questions
- 88 (+ 17 pretest) questions
MAINE PROPERTY AND CASUALTY
- 140(+ 27 pretest) questions
MAINE PERSONAL LINES
- 100 (+ 13 pretest) questions
Computerized exams are given at Pearson VUE Testing Centers Monday-Saturday and select locations on Sunday.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW DO I APPLY FOR MY LICENSE?
For questions regarding how to obtain a license after the examination has been passed, candidates should contact the Maine Bureau of Insurance at (207)624-8475 or visit them online at www.maine.gov/insurance. After passing the examination, candidates must apply for their license within two years. After two years, the Bureau will require the candidate to take and pass their licensing exams again.
IF I DON'T PASS IS THERE ANY WAITING PERIOD THAT APPLIES BEFORE I CAN RETAKE THE INSURANCE EXAM?
This computerized exam is scored immediately upon completion of parts I and II of the exam. If a candidate fails the exam, they must pay a reexamination fee and wait one day before scheduling a reexamination. Examination results are valid two years from the date of examination.