MONTANA INSURANCE PRELICENSING INFORMATION
- Montana does not require potential agents to take and complete a state approved prelicensing course before taking their licensing exam. This being said, it is highly recommended that potential agents take and complete a state-specific test preparation course before taking their licensing exam.
LICENSING EXAM INFORMATION
- The exam is multiple choice and is given on a computer
- $68 per examination (if a candidate schedules two exams in one session, only one fee is required; visit the Pearson VUE link below for allowable combinations)
PASSING SCORE REQUIRED
MONTANA LIFE INSURANCE
- 86 (+ 17 pretest) questions
MONTANA ACCIDENT AND HEALTH INSURANCE
- 92 (+ 18 pretest) questions
MONTANA PROPERTY INSURANCE
- 82 (+ 17 pretest) questions
MONTANA CASUALTY INSURANCE
- 87 (+ 18 pretest) questions
Computerized exams are given at Pearson VUE Testing Centers Monday - Saturday and select locations on Sunday.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW DO I APPLY FOR MY LICENSE?
For questions regarding how to obtain a license after the examination has been passed, candidates should contact the Montana Department of Insurance at (406) 444-2040 or visit them online at www.sao.mt.gov. After passing the examination, candidates must apply for their license within one year. After one year, the Department will require the candidate to take and pass their licensing exams again.
IF I DON'T PASS IS THERE ANY WAITING PERIOD THAT APPLIES BEFORE I CAN RETAKE THE INSURANCE EXAM?
This computerized exam is scored immediately upon completion of parts I and II of the exam. If a candidate fails either part, they must pay a reexamination fee and retake the exam.