MASSACHUSETTS CE COURSES
The following courses are currently available for Massachusetts:
|Course Name||Credit Hours||Line of Authority|
|Ethical Practices: Avoiding E&O Claims||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethics & Insurance: How to Sell Ethically & Comply with the Law||3.00||Ethics (Not Available)|
|NFIP Flood Insurance||3.00||General|
|Indexed Product Training||4.00||Life|
|Principles of Life and Health Insurance||12.00||Life and Health|
|Annuity Suitability Certification Training||4.00||Life/Health|
|Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance||4.00||Life/Health|
|Health Insurance Policies: Protecting Clients from Health-Related Loss||5.00||Life/Health|
|Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability||6.00||Life/Health|
|Long Term Care Certification Training||8.00||Life/Health|
|LTC Certification Refresher||4.00||Life/Health|
|Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap||4.00||Life/Health|
|Variable Life & Annuities: Understanding Investment Potential and Risks||5.00||Life/Health|
|Businessowners Policy (BOP)||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Personal Lines: Protecting Your Client's Home, Auto, & Critical Risks||7.00||Property/Casualty|
• Producers in Massachusetts must take 60 hours of continuing education, including 3 hours of ethics, in the first 3-year license term after licensure. After the initial license term, producers are only required to complete 45 hours, including 3 hours ethics, of continuing education every 3-year license term.
• Public adjusters are required to take 15 hours of continuing education every 3-year license term.
Renewal dates are every 3 years based upon the licensee’s date of birth. The continuing education compliance period is every 3 years based on the date the license was issued. A maximum of 45 hours of excess CE hours may be carried forward into the next license term. Courses may not be repeated within 3 years of the original completion date.
Students may take an approved course in any line of authority to obtain
their Continuing Education credits, but it is recommended that they take
courses pertaining to their license type.
• LONG TERM CARE TRAINING – Producers must complete initial 8-hour state
approved LTC requirement before selling LTC in the state of Massachusetts.
After completing the initial 8-hour training, producers must then take an
ongoing 4-hour LTC training course every 24 months from the initial completion
date. If a resident or nonresident producer has completed the initial training
in another state, they must complete a 2-hour Health Training course specific
• ANNUITY TRAINING – Insurance producers that sell annuity products must complete an approved one-time 4-hour annuity suitability course.
• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING – Massachusetts licensed producers who sell flood insurance are required to take a 3-hour one-time course approved for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
• CERTIFICATION EXAM – Students are required to pass the certification exam with a 70% or better. Exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party who certifies that the licensee completed the exam without outside assistance.
• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX recommends that all Study by Topic Quizzes are passed with a 70% or better.
• STUDENT AND PROCTOR ATTESTATION – The student and proctor attestation must be completed following the certificate exam.
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION AND REPORTING
Your certificate of completion will be emailed to you within two (2)
business days. Completions are reported to state entities within two (2)
business days of the certificate having been issued. There is a state charge of $0.50 per credit hour and a processing fee of $1.50 per course in order to report completions. These fees will be charged prior to accessing the certification exam.
If you have satisfied the continuing education requirements of your home state, Massachusetts will consider that as satisfaction of the continuing education requirements as long as your home state recognizes the satisfaction of its continuing education requirements imposed upon producers from Massachusetts on the same basis.
The following are exempt from Massachusetts CE requirements:
• The licensee holds a viatical brokers/representative license.
• The licensee holds a reinsurance intermediary brokers/managers license.
• The licensee holds a surplus lines brokers license.
• The licensee holds an advisors license.
• The licensee is a nonresident licensee in a state with reciprocity with Massachusetts.
• The licensee is on active military duty.
• The licensee has been continuously licensed since April 4, 1983, and has not become licensed for a new line of authority since the original license issuance.
• The licensee holds an auto club agents license.
• The licensee holds one of the following limited lines authorities: travel, accident & baggage insurance, or credit insurance.
Producers can renew their license using NIPR. The license term is different from the renewal date, meaning that CE hours are not necessarily due by the license renewal date. Licensees have a 30-day period following the license expiration date to renew the license, otherwise the license will be cancelled.
STATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Massachusetts Division of Insurance
Phone: (617) 521-7794
Fax: (617) 521-7576
Web site: www.mass.gov/doi
Mailing Address: Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Insurance
1000 Washington Street, 8th Floor Boston, MA 02118-6200
The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.