Michigan Insurance Continuing Education Courses and Requirements


The following courses are currently available for Michigan:

Course NameCredit HoursLine of Authority
Anti Money-Laundering - Ethical Decision Making for Insurance Producers3.00Ethics
Ethical Practices: Avoiding E&O Claims3.00Ethics
Ethics & Insurance3.00Ethics
Front Line Fraud Prevention3.00Ethics
Indexed Product Training4.00Life
Principles of Life and Health Insurance12.00Life and Health
Annuity Suitability and Best Interest Standard Training4.00Annuity Suitability
Distribution Planning4.00Life/Health
Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance4.00Life/Health
Health Insurance Policies5.00Life/Health
Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability6.00Life/Health
Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap4.00Life/Health
Retirement Planning4.00Life/Health
Variable Life & Annuities5.00Life/Health
Long Term Care Certification Training8.00LTCP
LTC Certification Refresher4.00LTCP
NFIP Flood Insurance3.00PC
Businessowners Policy (BOP)4.00Property/Casualty
Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability4.00Property/Casualty
Personal Lines7.00Property/Casualty
Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance13.00Property and Casualty


Producers in Michigan are required to take 24 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, every two- year license term. License terms are based on the first day of the licensee’s birth month every 2 years. Licensees who are born in an even year will renew on even years, those born in an odd year will renew on odd years. Michigan allows up to 12 hours of credit to carry over to the next license term as general credit. Producers cannot take a course more than once in a 2-year license term. Licensee's are encouraged to complete continuing education hours at least 45 days prior to the renewal deadline.


Students may take an approved course in any line of authority in order to obtain their Continuing Education credits, but it is recommended that they take courses pertaining to their license type.


• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING – Michigan licensed producers who sell National Flood Insurance Policies are required to take a one-time 3-hour course on Flood Insurance.

• ANNUITY TRAINING – Michigan licensed producers who sell annuity products must complete a one-time four (4)-credit Annuity Suitability Best Interest Standard course.

Producers that complete a Department approved annuity training course prior to June 29, 2021 must within six months after June 29 2021 complete either a new four credit training course or an additional one time one credit training course approved by the Department and provided by an approved education provider.

Producers licensed on or after June 29, 2021 must complete the new onetime 4 hour course Compliance date for agents licensed prior to June 29, 2021 is December 29, 2021.

• LONG TERM CARE PARTNERSHIP TRAINING - Before a Producer can sell or solicit Long Term Care Insurance they must complete an initial 8 hours of Long Term Care Training. Producers must then complete a 4-hour ongoing training requirement every license term.  A producer who completes the Long Term Care Partnership training in any other state shall be compliant with the requirement.


• PROGRESSIVE – Students must progress through the curriculum by topic.

• CERTIFICATION EXAM – Students are required to pass the certification exam with a 70% or better. Exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party who certifies that the licensee completed the exam without outside assistance.

• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX requires that all Study by Topic quizzes be passed with at least a score of 1%.

• STUDENT AND PROCTOR ATTESTATION – The student and proctor attestation must be completed following the certificate exam.


Your certificate of completion will be emailed to you typically within two (2) business days. Completions are reported to state entities within two (2) business days of the certificate having been issued. There is a state charge of $1.00 per credit hour in order to report completions. This fee will be charged prior to accessing the certification exam.


Nonresident producers are not required to take CE if they have completed CE in their home state and remain in good standing. Nonresidents are not required to submit proof of CE compliance to the state.


The following are exempt from Michigan CE requirements:

• Nonresidents

• Adjusters, unless they are also licensed in a major line of authority

• Limited life, turkey, Crop and Hail, Travel, Accident and Baggage, Title and Credit Producers


Producer’s licenses are now perpetual, as long as resident and nonresident producers complete the required CE of their home state and remain in good standing.


Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services

Phone: 877-999-6442

Fax: 517-284-8837

Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 30220 Lansing, MI 48909

The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.

Empowering Success.