MONTANA CE COURSES
The following courses are currently available for Montana:
|Course Name||Credit Hours||Line of Authority|
|Anti-Money Laundering - Ethical Decision Making for Insurance||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethical Practices: Avoiding E&O Claims||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethics & Insurance||3.00||Ethics|
|Front Line Fraud Prevention||3.00||Ethics|
|Indexed Product Training||4.00||Life|
|Principles of Life and Health Insurance||12.00||Life and Health|
|Annuity Suitability and Best Interest Standard Training||4.00||Annuity Suitability|
|Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance||4.00||Life/Health|
|Health Insurance Policies||5.00||Life/Health|
|Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability||6.00||Life/Health|
|Long Term Care Certification Training||8.00||LTC|
|LTC Certification Refresher||4.00||LTC|
|Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap||4.00||Life/Health|
|Variable Life & Annuities||5.00||Life/Health|
|NFIP Flood Insurance||3.00||PC|
|Businessowners Policy (BOP)||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance||13.00||Property/Casualty|
• Life and Health and Property and Casualty Producers as well as Adjusters in Montana are required to take 24 hours of CE, 3 of those being in ethics and 1 hour of legislative changes to Montana Statutes, every 2-year license term.
The Producer’s license term is every 2 years on the first day of the licensee’s birth month in either odd or even years. Licensees who are born in an even year will renew on even years, those born in an odd year will renew on odd years. Montana does not allow excess credit hours to be carried forward into the next license term. Producers cannot take a course more than once within 2 years from the initial completion date.
Students may take an approved course in any line of authority to obtain their Continuing Education credits (with the exception of Limited Lines Credit Only Producers), but it is recommended that they take courses pertaining to their license type. Limited Lines Credit Only Producers must complete their 5-hour requirement in the following subjects: Ethics, Law, or Limited Lines Credit Insurance.
• LONG TERM CARE PARTNERSHIP TRAINING - Before a Producer can sell or solicit Long Term Care Insurance they must complete an initial 8 hours of state approved Long Term Care Training. Producers must then complete a 4-hour ongoing training requirement every 24 months following the initial completion date of the 8-hour training.
• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING - Montana licensed producers who sell National Flood Insurance Policies are required to take a one-time 3-hour course on Flood Insurance.
• ANNUITY SUITABILITY TRAINING - Insurers are responsible for the adequate training of agents who participate in the sale of annuity products. No hour requirements or specific state approval required.
• CERTIFICATION EXAM – Students are required to pass the certification exam with a 70% or better. Exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party who certifies that the licensee completed the exam without outside assistance. Coworkers are not acceptable proctors.
• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX recommends that all Study by Topic Quizzes are passed with a 70% or better.
• STUDENT AND PROCTOR ATTESTATION – The student and proctor attestation must be completed following the certificate exam.
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION AND REPORTING
Your certificate of completion will be emailed to you within two (2) business days. Completions are reported to state entities within two (2) business days of the certificate having been issued. There is a state charge of $1.00 per credit hour. This fee will be charged prior to accessing the certification exam.
Nonresident producers who have completed their CE requirements in their
home state and remain in good standing are not subject to Montana’s CE
requirements. All nonresidents must submit a letter of certification from their
home state to the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance stating that
they are in compliance. If the producers home state does not have a CE
requirement the producer is subject to Montana’s CE requirement. Montana
nonresident producers must submit the renewal compliance form sent to them by
the state prior to the license expiration date.
Nonresident adjusters who have completed their CE requirements in their home state and remain in good standing are not subject to Montana’s CE requirements, as long as the home state is one of the following Montana approved reciprocal states: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah or Wyoming. If the adjuster’s state is not listed above, they will be subject to Montana’s CE requirements. Montana nonresident adjusters must submit the renewal compliance form sent to them by the state prior to the license expiration date.
The following are exempt from Montana CE requirements:
• An individual holds a temporary license.
• The individual has exempted by the Montana commissioner.
STATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance
Phone: (406) 444-2040
Fax: (406) 444-3497
Email: [email protected]
Web site: www.csi.mt.gov
Mailing Address: 840 Helena Avenue
Helen, MT 59601
The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.