VIRGINIA CE COURSES
The following courses are currently available for Virginia:
|Course Name||Credit Hours||Line of Authority|
|Annuity Suitability Certification Training||4.00||Annuity Suitability|
|Ethical Practices: Acoiding E&O Claims||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethics & Insurance: How to Sell Ethically and Comply with the Law||3.00||Ethics|
|Front Line Fraud Prevention||3.00||Ethics|
|NFIP Flood Insurance||3.00||Flood|
|Indexed Product Training||4.00||LH|
|Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance||4.00||Life/Health|
|Health Insurance Policies: Protecting Clients from Health-Related Loss||5.00||Life/Health|
|Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability||6.00||Life/Health|
|Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap||4.00||Life/Health|
|Principles of Life and Health Insurance||12.00||Life/Health|
|Variable Life & Annuities: Understanding Investment Potential and Risks||5.00||Life/Health|
|Businessowners Policy (BOP)||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Personal Lines: Protecting Your Client's Home, Auto, & Critical Risks||7.00||Property/Casualty|
|Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance||13.00||Property/Casualty|
• Virginia licensed Producers holding one license are required to take 16 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, each biennium (ends December 31 of each even-numbered year)
• Virginia licensed Producers licensed in two or more lines of authority are required to take 24 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, each biennium (ends December 31 of each even- numbered year). At least 8 credits must be specific to each license type.
Virginia allows excess ethics credits to be applied to cover other CE requirements in the current biennium. Any remaining credits will be carried forward into the next biennium and applied to either the ethics or other CE requirements. Producers may take no more than 75% of the credits required for compliance from courses sponsored by insurance agencies or companies.
Producers must take CE courses for the license type that they hold. If more than one license is held, the producer must take at least 8 hours of CE credit per license held. CE credits awarded for Other General Insurance (OGI) topics will be used to meet any license-specific requirement but will not meet the Ethics requirement.
• ANNUITY SUITABILITY TRAINING – Producers must complete a one-time 4-hour annuity suitability course.
• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING – Virginia licensed producers who sell National Flood Insurance Policies are required to take a one-time 3-hour course on Flood Insurance.
• PROGRESSIVE – Students must progress through the curriculum by topic.
• CERTIFICATION EXAM – Students may print their certificate directly from the course after completing the curriculum requirements.
• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX requires that all Study by Topic quizzes be passed with at least a score of 1%.
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION AND REPORTING
Your certificate of completion will be emailed to you within two (2) business days. Completions are reported to state entities within two (2) business days of the certificate having been issued.
Nonresidents who have completed their CE requirement in their home state will be deemed compliant for Virginia’s continuing education requirement. Nonresident agents must pay the $20 Continuance fee each biennium.
The following license types are exempt from Virginia CE requirements:
• If your license is issued in the even numbered year of the biennium, you are exempt from CE for that license type for the current biennium only. However, if you take any CE credits in the current biennium, you must pay the $20 Continuance fee to have the credits carry forward into the next biennium.
• Limited Lines Life and Health
• Limited Lines Property and Casualty
• Limited Lines Credit
• Temporary Life and Health
• Temporary Life and Health (Debit Only)
• Temporary Property and Casualty
• Motor Vehicle Rental Contract
• Managing General Agent
• Reinsurance Intermediary Broker
• Reinsurance Intermediary Manager
• Viatical Settlement Broker
• Variable Life and Annuities
• Surplus Lines Broker
• Title Settlement Agent
• Consultant’s license, IF you hold an agent license and have satisfied the agent CE requirements
• Producers who have reached age 65 or will have reached age 65 by the end of the biennium, and have held a license for 20 continuous and uninterrupted years immediately preceding the end of the biennium, OR have held a Virginia resident license for 4 continuous and uninterrupted years and been continuously licensed with an equivalent license in another state for an additional 16 years, for a total of 20 years of continuous and uninterrupted licensure, OR have held a Virginia resident license for 4 continuous and uninterrupted years and held the equivalent license authority in Virginia for at least 20 of the preceding 30 years. You must contact the Bureau of Insurance to process your request.
Producers must submit a nonrefundable $20 Continuance fee must be paid by both resident and non-resident agents before November 30 of the biennium year. Producers must complete the proper CE courses by the last day of November in the biennium. The Bureau will send pre-termination notices out the first week of December in the biennium to notify those who are not compliant. Agents will have until December 31 to correct any CE deficiencies.
The continuance fee can be paid online at sircon.com.
STATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Virginia Insurance Department Phone: 804-371-9631
Email: [email protected]
Virginia Bureau of Insurance Agent Licensing Section
P.O. Box 1157 Richmond, VA 23218
The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.