ALABAMA CE COURSES
The following courses are currently available for Alabama:
|Course Name||Credit Hours||Line of Authority|
|Ethical Practices: Avoiding E&O Claims||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethics & Insurance: How to Sell Ethically & Comply with the Law||3.00||Ethics|
|Front Line Fraud Prevention||3.00||Ethics|
|NFIP Flood Insurance||3.00||General|
|Indexed Product Training||4.00||Life|
|Annuity Suitability Certification Training||4.00||Life/Health|
|Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance||4.00||Life/Health|
|Health Insurance Policies: Protecting Clients from Health-Related Loss||5.00||Life/Health|
|Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability||6.00||Life/Health|
|Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap||4.00||Life/Health|
|Principles of Life and Health Insurance||12.00||Life/Health|
|Variable Life & Annuities: Understanding Investment Potential and Risks||5.00||Life/Health|
|Long Term Care Certification Training||8.00||LTC|
|LTC Certification Refresher||4.00||LTC|
|Businessowners Policy (BOP)||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Personal Lines: Protecting Your Client's Home, Auto, & Critical Risks||7.00||Property/Casualty|
|Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance||13.00||Property/Casualty|
• Alabama licensed Producers are required to take 24 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, every 2-year license term
• Service Representatives must take 12 hours of CE, including 2 hours of ethics, every two- year license term.
Licensees who are born in an even year will renew on even years, those born in an odd year will renew on odd years. Producers cannot take a course more than once within a 2-year license term. Alabama does not allow excess credits to be carried forward into the next licensing period. The license term ends on the last day of the licensee’s birth month every 2 years.
Licensees may take an approved course in any line of authority to obtain their Continuing Education credits, but it is recommended that they take courses pertaining to their license type. Title agents and Adjusters may take any course approved for P&C credit.
• LONG TERM CARE PARTNERSHIP TRAINING - Before a Producer can sell or solicit Long Term Care Insurance they must complete a state approved course in 8 hours of initial Long Term Care Training. Producers must then complete a 4-hour ongoing training requirement every 2-year license term following the initial completion date of the 8-hour training.
• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING - Alabama licensed producers who sell National Flood Insurance Policies are required to take a one-time 3-hour course on Flood Insurance.
• ANNUITY TRAINING - Alabama licensed producers must take a course approved for at least 4 hours before selling or soliciting any annuity products.
• CERTIFICATION EXAM – Licensees are required to pass the certification exam with a 70% or better. Exams must be monitored by professionals such as an attorney, minister, accountant, librarian or teacher who certifies that the licensee completed the exam without outside assistance. A friend, relative, or co-worker of the licensee are not appropriate proctors.
• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX recommends that all Study by Topic Quizzes are passed with a 70% or better.
• LICENSEE AND PROCTOR ATTESTATION – The licensee and proctor attestation must be completed following the certificate exam.
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION AND REPORTING
Your certificate of completion will be emailed to you within approximately two (2) business days. Completions are normally reported within two (2) business days of the certificate having been issued. There is a state charge of $1.00 per credit hour and a processing fee of $1.50 per course in order to report completions. These fees will be charged prior to accessing the certification exam.
Nonresidents who have completed their CE requirement in their home state will be deemed compliant for Alabama’s continuing education requirement.
The following are exempt from Alabama CE requirements:
• Producers that have been licensed for less than 12 months at the time of their first renewal
• Non-residents of reciprocal states who have met the home state's CE requirements.
• Producers licensed in Alabama for 15 years and who are at least 60 years of age. NOTE: any individual exempt from the requirements immediately prior to Jan 1, 2013, so long as the individual remains exempt according to the law at that time, unless the license is permitted to expire or is otherwise terminated and remains out of effect for a period of 12 consecutive months, in which case the exemption is no longer applicable. They may continue to request exemption unless the license goes inactive for over a year, in which case this exemption will no longer apply.
• Temporary license holders pending passage of the written examination for that line of insurance
• Active members of the Alabama legislature during any portion of the compliance period
• Any producer whose license is limited to acting only as a producer for credit insurance, rental vehicle insurance, crop, portable electronic, travel, motor club, dental services, and legal services, or any combination thereof.
Producers that meet the exemption requirements will still need to comply with the LTC training.
To renew a license, click here. Licensees can renew a license 90 days prior to the end of the licensee’s birth month, and within a grace period of 30 days after the last day of their birth month with a late fee of $50 added to the regular renewal fee. If not renewed before the end of the grace period, the license will be expired. Adjusters are allowed to renew their license online 90 days prior to their birth month until the last day of their birth month, with a renewal fee of $80. If your license is not renewed by the last day of your birth month, there will be a 30 day grace period provided a $40.00 late fee plus the $80.00 renewal fee is received. If your license is not renewed by the last day of your birth month or your 30 day grace period the license will then be expired and have a 365 day reinstatement period from the last day of your birth month with a $160.00 fee.
STATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Alabama Department of Insurance: Producer Licensing Division
Phone: (334) 241-4126
Fax: (334) 240-3282
Email: [email protected]
Alabama Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 303351 Montgomery, AL 36130-3351
The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.