IOWA INSURANCE PRELICENSING INFORMATION
- Iowa does not require potential agents to take and complete a state approved prelicensing course before taking their licensing exam. This being said, it is highly recommended that potential agents take and complete a state-specific test preparation course before taking their licensing exam.
LICENSING EXAM INFORMATION
- The exam is multiple choice and is given on a computer.
- $64 per examination (if a candidate schedules two exams in one session, the fee for boths exams is $79; visit the Pearson VUE link below for allowable combinations)
PASSING SCORE REQUIRED
- 77 (+ 15 pretest) questions
IOWA ACCIDENT AND HEALTH OR SICKNESS
- 80 (+ 15 pretest) questions
- 83 (+ 15 pretest) questions
- 85 (+ 15 pretest) questions
IOWA PERSONAL LINES
- 113 (+ 16 pretest) questions
IOWA PUBLIC ADJUSTER
EXAM LOCATIONS AND DATES
You can schedule your exam with Pearson VUE. Computerized exams are given at Pearson VUE Testing Centers Monday- Saturday and select locations on Sunday.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW DO I APPLY FOR MY LICENSE?
For questions regarding how to obtain a license after the examination has been passed, candidates should contact the State of Iowa Insurance Division at (515)281-7757 or visit them online at www.iid.state.ia.us/. After passing the examination, candidates must apply for their license within 90 days. After 90 days, the Insurance Division will require the candidate to take and pass their licensing exams again.
IF I DON'T PASS IS THERE ANY WAITING PERIOD THAT APPLIES BEFORE I CAN RETAKE THE INSURANCE EXAM?
This computerized exam is scored immediately upon completion of parts I and II of the exam. If a candidate fails the exam, they must wait 24 hours before rescheduling and pay a reexamination fee. Examination results are valid 90 days from the date of examination.