California Insurance Continuing Education Courses and Requirements
CALIFORNIA CE COURSES
The following courses are currently available for California:
|Course Name||Credit Hours||Line of Authority|
|Health Insurance Policies: Protecting Clients from Health-Related Loss||5.00||Accident & Health|
|California 8-hour Annuity Suitability Training||8.00||Annuity 8-Hour (ANU8)|
|California 4-hour Annuity Suitability Transactions||4.00||Annuity Training|
|Ethical Practices: Avoiding E&O Claims||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethics & Insurance: How to Sell Ethically & Comply with the Law||3.00||Ethics|
|Front Line Fraud Prevention||3.00||Ethics|
|NFIP Flood Insurance||3.00||Flood|
|Distribution Planning||4.00||Life Only/Accident &Health|
|Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance||4.00||Life Only/Accident &Health|
|Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability||6.00||Life Only/Accident &Health|
|Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap||4.00||Life Only/Accident &Health|
|Retirement Planning||4.00||Life Only/Accident &Health|
|Variable Life & Annuities: Understanding Investment Potential and Risks||5.00||Life Only/Accident &Health|
|Indexed Product Training||4.00||Life/Health|
|Brett Decker CLU - Mandatory 8-Hour Long Term Care||8.00||LTC8|
|Brett W. Decker – CA Homeowners Insurance Valuation||5.00||Property/Casualty|
|Businessowners Policy (BOP)||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Personal Lines: Protecting Your Client's Home, Auto, & Critical Risks||7.00||Property/Casualty|
California requires 24 hours of continuing education including 3 hours of ethics every two-year license term, regardless of how long you have been a licensed producer.
Renewal dates depend on the date of license issuance.
Credit hours that are earned in excess will be carried over to the next license term. LTC or Ethics credits will be carried over as general credits. In a two-year license term, a course may not be taken for credit more than once.
Licensees must take approved courses in the line of authority in which
they are licensed in.
LONG TERM CARE TRAINING: Before a Producer can sell or solicit Long
Term Care Insurance they must be a licensed Accident and Health Producer.
Further, they must complete an initial 8 hours of state approved Long Term Care
Training. Producers must then complete an 8-hour ongoing training requirement.
• Producers licensed four years or less must annually complete 8 hours of ongoing state approved LTC training, for the next four years of licensure. After the four-year period, the producer need only complete 8 hours of ongoing LTC training every two- year license term. Producers that are licensed more than 4 years, need only to complete 8 hours of ongoing LTC training every two-year license term. Additionally, agents who hold a life-only license may sell LTC products ONLY as a LTC rider on a full life policy
• LONG TERM CARE PARTNERSHIP TRAINING: Before selling LTC Partnership products in California, Producers must complete 16 hours of approved LTC training. Half of the required 16 hours (8) must be completed in a state approved classroom course. The remaining 8 must be taken in a state approved self-study course. To remain in compliance, producers must then complete an 8-hour ongoing training requirement in a state approved classroom every two-year license term. Producers licensed for less than 4 years must ANNUALLY complete 8 hours of ongoing LTCP training.
• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING: California licensed producers who sell National Flood Insurance Policies are required to take a one-time 3-hour course on Flood Insurance.
• HOMEOWNERS VALUATION TRAINING: All Property (Fire) and Casualty broker-agents and Personal Lines broker-agents who sell or negotiate homeowners’ insurance MUST complete a one-time 3-hour training course in homeowners’ insurance valuation.
• ANNUITY TRAINING: Producers must complete a state approved initial 8-hour training requirement before selling annuities in California. Producers then must complete an on- going 4-hour state approved annuity CE course every two years, thereafter.
PROGRESSIVE – Licensees must progress through the course, topic by
topic. Licensees must access all reading content and attempt all Study by Topic
• CERTIFICATION EXAM – Licensees are required to pass the certification exam with a 70% or better. The date that you successfully pass the certification exam is the completion date.
• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX requires that all Study by Topic quizzes be passed with at least a score of 70%.
• LICENSEE ATTESTATION – The licensee attestation must be completed following the certificate exam.
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION AND REPORTING
Your certificate of completion will be emailed to you within two (2)
business days. Completions are reported to state entities within two (2)
business days of the certificate having been issued. There is a $.65 per credit hour fee in order to report completions to the state. This fee will be charged to you before the certification exam may be accessed.
If your resident state requires continuing education hours, you will not
have to comply with California continuing education requirements. However, if
you market long-term care you must complete a California 8 Hour Long-Term
course from an approved California education provider and if you market
Annuities you must comply with California's Annuity training requirement.
The following are exempt from California CE requirements:
• Producers who have held a life agent license for at least one year or who obtained a life settlement broker license prior to July 2, 2010 are exempt from the 15-hour life settlement broker training course requirement. This does not include an exemption from the life agent CE requirement of 24 CE hours, including 3 hours of ethics.
• The producer holds a nonresident license ONLY
• The producer holds only a cargo shippers license.
• The producer is 70 years or older and has held a California insurance license in good standing for 30 years or more. These producers are not exempt from the special training listed above.
• The producer holds a life license and claims a funeral exemption (sells less than $15,000 of insurance).
• Nonresident Adjusters
ADDITIONAL LICENSE RENEWAL INFORMATION
Renewals can be done before all CE is completed, but will not be processed until all required CE has been reported to the CA Department of Insurance.
Agents can renew their online license here.
Information on paper renewals can be found here.
STATE CONTACT INFORMATION
California Department of Insurance
Phone: (800) 967-9331
California Insurance Department License Bureau
320 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814-4309
The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.