IOWA CE COURSES
The following courses are currently available for Iowa:
|Course Name||Credit Hours||Line of Authority|
|Anti Money-Laundering - Ethical Decision Making for Insurance Producers||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethical Practices: Avoiding E&O Claims||3.00||Ethics|
|Ethics & Insurance||3.00||Ethics|
|Front Line Fraud Prevention||3.00||Ethics|
|NFIP Flood Insurance||3.00||General|
|Indexed Product Training||4.00||Indexed Product|
|Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance||4.00||Life/Health|
|Health Insurance Policies||5.00||Life/Health|
|Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability||6.00||Life/Health|
|Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap||4.00||Life/Health|
|Principles of Life and Health Insurance||12.00||Life/Health|
|Variable Life & Annuities||5.00||Life/Health|
|Annuity Suitability and Best Interest Standard Training||4.00||Annuity|
|Long Term Care Certification Training||8.00||LTC|
|LTC Certification Refresher||4.00||LTC|
|Businessowners Policy (BOP)||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability||4.00||Property/Casualty|
|Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance||13.00||Property/Casualty|
• Iowa licensed Producers are required to take 36 hours of CE, including
3 hours of ethics, every 3-year license term.
• Crop Insurance Producers are required to take 18 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics, every 3-year license term.
The license term ends at the ends on the last day of the licensee’s birth month every 3 years. Licensees can check their renewal date and look up their CE transcript here. Producers cannot take a course more than once within 3-year license term. Iowa does not allow excess credits to be carried forward into the next licensing period.
Students may take an approved course in any line of authority to obtain their Continuing Education credits, but it is recommended that they take courses pertaining to their license type.
• LONG TERM CARE PARTNERSHIP TRAINING - Before a Producer can sell or solicit Long Term Care Insurance they must complete an 8-hour course in Long Term Care Training. This training must be completed in a classroom setting. Producers must then complete a 4- hour ongoing training requirement every 3-year license term following the initial completion date of the 8-hour training.
• ANNUITY TRAINING – Iowa licensed producers who sell annuity products must complete a one-time four (4)-credit Annuity Suitability Best Interest Standard course. This requirement is separate from the indexed annuity requirement. The ExamFX Annuity Suitability Best Interest Standard course satisfies this requirement.
• INDEXED PRODUCTS – All Iowa producers who sell indexed life products are required to complete a one-time 4-hour training course.
• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING – Iowa licensed producers who sell National Flood Insurance Policies are required to take a one-time 3-hour course on Flood Insurance.
• CERTIFICATION EXAM – Students are required to pass the certification exam with a 70% or better. Exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party who certifies that the licensee completed the exam without outside assistance.
• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX recommends that all Study by Topic Quizzes are passed with a 70% or better.
• STUDENT AND PROCTOR ATTESTATION – The student and proctor attestation must be completed following the certificate exam. The paper attestation must be printed and signed by both the student and proctor, then sent back to ExamFX via mail, fax, or email to [email protected]
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION AND REPORTING
Your certificate of completion will typically be emailed to you within two (2)
business days upon successful completion of the course requirements and receipt of the completed attestation. Completions are reported to state entities typically within two (2)
business days of the certificate having been issued. There is a state charge of $1.00 per credit hour to report completions. This fee will be charged prior to accessing the certification exam.
FINAL CREDITS BEING COMPLETED AND/OR REPORTED DURING THE MONTH OF LICENSE EXPIRATION
By Iowa Administrative Code, CE providers have twenty (20) days to issue an Iowa Certificate of Completion form and have until the tenth day of the month following the month in which the course is completed to submit the roster electronically to the Division.
Nonresidents who have completed their CE requirement in their home state will be deemed compliant for Iowa’s continuing education requirement. If a nonresident’s state does not require CE, the producer must company with the IA CE requirement. Producers who have taken a NAIC LTCP course in another state will be deemed compliant, if they have not, they must meet the LTC requirements for Iowa.
The following are exempt from Iowa CE requirements:
• An attorney licensed to sell insurance. They must file a report showing proof of compliance with the CE requirement in their home state and pay the required renewal fees.
• Attorneys who do not have a CE requirement in their home states must comply with the Iowa insurance CE requirements.
• Producers on active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces.
• Nonresidents who have met their home state requirements. These producers must file renewals through the NIPR. For details visit http://www.nipr.com.
• Producers licensed for creditor surety. Producers must still file renewals and pay the appropriate renewal fees.
ExamFX recommends that producers complete their continuing education at
least 1 month before the license expiration. Renewal notices are sent by the
state 60 days before the producer’s expiration date by email, if applicable.
The notice will inform the producer if they are complaint with their CE credits
for their current license term, along with fees. It is the producer’s
responsibility to renew their license in a timely manner, regardless if a notice was received
from the Department of Insurance.
When your record shows CE Compliant, it may take up to 24 business hours to electronically update the National Insurance Producer Database (NIPR) website to show compliance and to allow renewal. The NIPR website NIPR is where you will need to complete the online renewal application and pay the renewal fee by your expiration date. IF YOUR LICENSE EXPIRES YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY A $100.00 REINSTATEMENT FEE IN ADDITION TO THE $50.00 RENEWAL FEE.
STATE CONTACT INFORMATION
Iowa Insurance Division
Email: Click Here to e-mail the insurance division
Iowa Insurance Division 601 Locust St., 4th Floor Des Moines, IA 50309-3738
The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.