Kentucky Insurance Continuing Education Courses and Requirements


The following courses are currently available for Kentucky:

Course NameCredit HoursLine of Authority
Anti-Money Laundering - Ethical Decision Making for Insurance Producers3.00Ethics
Ethical Practices: Avoiding E&O Claims3.00Ethics
Ethics & Insurance: How to Sell Ethically & Comply with the Law3.00Ethics
Front Line Fraud Prevention3.00Ethics
NFIP Flood Insurance3.00Flood
Distribution Planning4.00Life/Health
Group Benefits & Worksite Insurance4.00Life/Health
Health Insurance Policies: Protecting Clients from Health-Related Loss5.00Life/Health
Indexed Product Training4.00Life/Health
Life Insurance Policy Types & Suitability6.00Life/Health
Medicare Supplement Insurance: Closing the Gap4.00Life/Health
Principles of Life and Health Insurance12.00Life/Health
Retirement Planning4.00Life/Health
Variable Life & Annuities: Understanding Investment Potential and Risks5.00Life/Health
Annuity Suitability Best Interest Standard Training4.00Life/Health/Annuity
Long Term Care Certification Training8.00LTC
LTC Certification Refresher4.00LTC
Businessowners Policy (BOP)4.00Property/Casualty
Commercial Lines: Property/Auto/Liability4.00Property/Casualty
Personal Lines: Protecting Your Client's Home, Auto, & Critical Risks7.00Property/Casualty
Principles of Property and Casualty Insurance13.00Property and Casualty



Producers and Adjusters in Kentucky are required to take 24 hours of CE, including 3 hours of ethics. Continuing Education must be completed during each continuing education biennium which begins on the first day of the month following the licensee’s birth month and ends on the last day of the licensee’s birth month two (2) years later. Up to 12 hours of CE credit can be carried over to the next license term, but will be credited as general hours only and do not meet ethics or authority line requirements.



Students must take at least 6 hours of credit for each line of authority in which they are currently licensed, 3 hours in ethics, and any remaining credits can be taken in any category to obtain their Continuing Education credits, but it is recommended that they take courses pertaining to their license type.



• LONG TERM CARE PARTNERSHIP TRAINING – Before a Producer can sell or solicit Long Term Care Insurance, they must complete an initial 8 hours of state-approved Kentucky Long Term Care Training. Producers must then complete a 4-hour ongoing training requirement every 2-year license term in order to stay in compliance.

• FLOOD INSURANCE TRAINING – Kentucky licensed producers who sell National Flood Insurance Policies are required to take a one-time 3-hour course on Flood Insurance.

• ANNUITY TRAINING – Before a Producer can sell or solicit annuity products in Kentucky, producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.

An agent who completes a Department approved annuity training course prior to January 1, 2022 must within six months after January 1, 2022 complete either a new four credit hour annuity training course or an additional one time one credit hour annuity training course.
An agent who completed a four hour credit course prior to January 1, 2022 may fulfill the best interest training requirement with the one credit course until 6/30/2022.


• CERTIFICATION EXAM – Students are required to pass the certification exam with a 70% or better.

• STUDY BY TOPIC QUIZZES – ExamFX recommends that all Study by Topic Quizzes are passed with a 70% or better.

• STUDENT ATTESTATION – The student attestation must be completed following the certificate exam.


Students may print their certificate directly from the course after completing the curriculum requirements. Completions are typically reported within two (2) business days of the certificate having been issued.



Nonresident producers are not required to take CE in Kentucky if they have completed CE in their home state and remain in good standing.

LONG TERM CARE TRAINING: A nonresident may take any 8 hour NAIC approved course in any licensed state.


The following are exempt from Kentucky CE requirements:

• Producers who hold limited lines of authority

• Producers who have not been licensed for a full year by the CE compliance date

• Non-resident licensees who meet the requirements of their home states

• Producers who hold a license for the sole purposed of receiving renewals or deferred commissions and providing the office with support affidavit

• Non-resident adjusters who are licensed and in good standing in their home state. If the license terminates in their resident or designated home state their Kentucky nonresident license will terminate as well and must be surrendered immediately



Producers can renew licenses though their Kentucky Online Gateway (KOG) account.



Kentucky Department of Insurance

Phone: 502-564-6004
Fax: 502-564-6030
Email: [email protected]
Mailing Address: Agent Licensing – Continuing Education
P.O. Box 517
Frankfort, KY 40602-0517



To file a complaint with the Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education, each person filing must submit a completed “Form to File a Complaint” (PE-24) to the Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education by mail to Capital Plaza Tower, Room 302, 500 Mero Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601. This form can be found on the website at


KRS 165A.450 requires each school licensed by the Kentucky Commission on Proprietary to contribute to a Student Protection Fund which will be used to pay off debt accrued due to the closing of a school, discontinuance of a program, loss of license, or loss of accreditation by a school or program. To file a claim against the Student Protection Fund, each person filing must submit a completed “Form for Claims Against the Student Protection Fund”. This form can be found on the website at

The information displayed above is for informational purposes only. ExamFX is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on this page. All steps have been taken to make sure that the information relayed on this page is accurate; however, information is subject to change without notice. It is the responsibility of the producer to be compliant per their states requirements.