COLORADO INSURANCE PRELICENSING INFORMATION
- Colorado requires potential agents take and complete a state approved prelicensing course before taking their licensing exam.
LICENSING EXAM INFORMATION
- The exam is multiple choice and is given on a computer.
- The fee for one examination session is $48. Candidates that take both the combined Life and Health exam or the combined Property and Casualty exam in the same session will be charged a single exam fee of $48.
PASSING SCORE REQUIRED
- Pass / Fail - Each question is scored based off of the level of difficulty (if a passing score is not achieved on all parts of the exam, only the portion which was failed need be re-taken and paid for in full)
- 95 questions (80 questions + 15 pretest)
- 96 questions (80 questions + 16 pretest)
- 90 questions (75 questions + 15 pretest)
- 96 questions (81 questions + 15 pretest)
COLORADO PERSONAL LINES
- 119 questions (104 questions + 15 pretest)
You can schedule your exam with Pearson VUE.
Computerized exams are given at Pearson VUE Testing Centers Monday- Saturday and select locations on Sunday.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW DO I APPLY FOR MY LICENSE?
For questions regarding how to obtain a license after the examination has been passed, candidates should contact the State of Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies at (303) 894-7499 or visit them online at www.dora.state.co.us/insurance. After passing the examination, candidates must apply for their license within one year. After one year, the Department will require the candidate to take and pass their licensing exams again. Therefore, candidates will also be required to retake a pre-licensing course, as the certificate of completion will be expired.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO THE TEST CENTER THE DAY OF MY COLORADO INSURANCE EXAM?
Testing vendors will often ask for proof of Pre-License Education. It is therefore crucial that you bring your Certificate of Completion to the testing site. You cannot take anything into the test room with you other than what the proctor provides you. You will be able to leave your personal belongings in a locker in the testing center waiting room. They will provide you with a pen/pencil, scratch paper, and a basic function calculator at the test site.
IF I DON'T PASS IS THERE ANY WAITING PERIOD THAT APPLIES BEFORE I CAN RETAKE THE COLORADO INSURANCE EXAM?
This computerized exam is scored immediately upon completion of parts I and II of the exam. If a candidate fails either part, they must pay a reexamination fee and retake only the part of the exam which they failed. Examination results are valid one year from the date of examination.